Tuesday, September 22, 2015

One of the best openers I can remember is from The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It begins with the narrator Nick about to tell his story. But first, he has this to say. 
“In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since. ‘Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,’ he told me, ‘just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.’”
That introduction shapes the whole book and I think I would have read it with a completely different perspective Nick hadn’t opened with that.









            One of the greatest conclusions that comes to mind is the last scene in a movie called Amelie. Where the main character, Amelie, rides through the streets of Montmartre in Paris with her new found love and confidence. The camera work is amazing as it follows Amelie and Nino, while a beautiful accordion song is playing, which adds heavily to the emotion. I think this ended the movie perfectly because it invited the viewer to feel the same things that Amelie had finally found.  It really resonates with anyone who is watching.














No comments:

Post a Comment